Thursday, April 15, 2010

Platelet update...

Yesterday, I went back to my hem/onc doctor for another check on my platelet count and to review all of the labs I had done at my last visit. I haven't really talked to many people about all of this, so I guess I'm using my blog as a sounding board. I don't think very many people read my blog so I guess I still feel like it is somewhat of a private matter...even though I've posted it online for the world to see! I didn't think yesterday and flubbed by posting a status update on Facebook about going to the doctor...needless to say, when you mention oncology at all, people start flipping out. I actually had one person, whom I had not spoken to at all about all of this stuff, hit my biggest fears head on...I was kind of weird! I'm still struggling with sharing all of this info with that many people. Don't get me wrong, I covet your prayers, but I am not one to draw attention to myself and I feel like that's exactly what I'm doing by talking about all of this.

OK, back to the update....

After the fabulous seven vials of blood at my last visit, this is what we found....nothing! Well, not really nothing. He was able to fairly confidently rule out any indicator of leukemia or multiple myelomas...that's great news. The not so great news was that the one test he ordered (checking for antiplatelet antibodies) to basically confirm a diagnosis of ITP (which is what we're hoping for) came back negative. He said that sometimes that test comes back negative because there is not enough of the antibody in that particular blood sample to give a positive result. He seemed a little frustrated by this result...I think he was hoping for a positive as much as I was. ITP is very manageable and often doesn't require treatment....best of all, you can still be a baby-making machine with ITP!

Where do we go from here? That was the question of the hour! Well, for starters, my platelet count is still  low. Not much change since last time...not lower, but not much better. If the ITP "test" had come back positive, I think we would be done with a diagnosis and could just focus on managing that. He said that his "gut feeling" was still ITP, but, as we all know, in medicine a gut feeling is not enough! So, given my consistently low platelet count and negative result for antiplatelet antibodies, he wants to continue with the bone marrow biopsy. I am scheduled to have the biopsy done in two weeks. As I previously mentioned, I am not overly thrilled about this! My doctor said that it is not a painful procedure and I shouldn't be nervous, but he followed that up by saying that he had never had one done. I expressed my anxiety about the procedure and he agreed that he would probably feel the same way if he were in my shoes. He gave me a prescription for an anti-anxiety med to take before the procedure so I could be more relaxed. We'll see how that goes!

As of now, I'm still a little freaked out about everything, but I am at peace with it. As I've said before, I am not in control of all of this...all I can do is trust in the Lord and let Him guide me through it. I do covet your prayers...not so much for the diagnosis or outcome, but more for me to not worry about it all! I had to run some errands after my appointment yesterday and it was one of those times that I prayed I didn't run into anyone I knew because I'm pretty sure I would've lost it altogether as soon as I tried to speak...man, imagine that poor soul! Fortunately, no one had to go through that!

So, that's that. I will keep you updated as I find out more! On a more positive note, those prayers you all have been sending my way must be working somewhat. I had my annual lady visit last week and my OB/GYN, who has previously been everything but encouraging when it comes to my reproductive system going back to work, actually said that he was fine with caring for me through another pregnancy...assuming the hem/onc gives the green light! You guys are good, so keep those prayers coming!! Thanks for reading and praying for us on this matter!! Hopefully, my next update will be all about how smooth and easy the biopsy went!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Wendy,
    I have been reading and praying but didn't want to comment before. I'm glad you recieved good news, but know it must be frustrating to still not know what is wrong. I will keep saying prayers for both your platelet count to go higher, for the bone marrow biopsy to be painfree and for you God to calm your worries. I will pray for that last one the most, because I know as a mama, you already have enough to worry about!
    Hugs!
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,

    I had know idea this was going on until i saw something on your status the other day. I will be praying for you and for the doctor to have wisdom in what procedure to do. Hopefully, you and david can have the green light to produce me another beautiful cousin ha! Love you!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't get the answer you were looking forward to. I know it is not the same but I had spinal tap as a teenage and although it wasn't the easiest test to go through the anxiety made it much worse. I will pray for your body as well as your nerves.

    ReplyDelete