Friday, April 9, 2010

Does Music Really Matter?

Lately, I have been struggling with staying motivated during my workouts. It is difficult to find music that will keep you "pumped up" consistently. I generally listen to praise and worship music when I workout, but a couple of friends at work had suggested some songs that keep them moving at a good pace. I thought there could be no harm in trying out different workout music...and it worked for a little bit. I generally pull up my Pandora app on my phone and pick a station and go with it...my favorite artist stations are Chris Tomlin, Addison Road, and Philips, Craig, and Dean, but based on the suggestions I had received, I tried Lady Gaga and Black Eye Peas. I will say the music had a great beat and pepped my step while I was listening. So, it worked, right? WRONG! Sure, I had a fast paced workout and probably burned some extra calories, but what good is burning calories and improving your physical appearance if you are damaging your spirit. Colossians 3:17 says "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." I know that some may say that listening to a song doesn't matter...especially if you don't sing along. Well, I found myself humming those songs to myself or singing the lyrics in my head throughout the day after listening to them. I know, no big deal...you got a song stuck in your head...we all do it, right? Well, how in the world am I glorifying my God by singing lyrics like "I wanna take a ride on your disco-stick" (who even would've known what that reference was to) or "I gotta feeling tonight's gonna be a good night" or "Let's drink it up"? Simply put, I'm NOT! I have felt very convicted about my music for the past few years and really don't listen to secular music if I can control it. I let myself slip and boy, did it make a difference in my attitude and outlook. I realized what I was doing and quickly changed my tune...no pun intended! I changed my music back to praise and worship, and let me tell you, nothing gets my body moving like Travis Cottrell's "Alive, Forever, Amen"...I mean, what could get you pumped and motivated more than singing about the awesome victory over death of our Lord and Savior! I found that after that workout, my entire day was more positive and I was giving the glory to God rather than myself for a great workout. I know that everyone may not share my opinion on this matter, but it really does matter to me. Think about the things that influence you...the words you speak and hear....the sights your eyes see...the sounds your ears hear...all of these shape you and your attitude. Please, don't get me wrong, I am a sinner day in and day out! I slip up and say things that I know are not glorifying God and are not a joyful noise to his ears, but I am SO, SO, SO thankful that He is a God of forgiveness and love. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I mess up, He still loves and cherishes me! Like the Chris Tomlin song says "How can I keep from singing Your praise?"

No comments:

Post a Comment