Tuesday, March 15, 2011

iPad

OK, so David is all about some Apple products...if you know us, you already knew that! Last Friday was the launch of the iPad 2 and, just like with the first iPad, David waited in line at the Apple store to be one of the first people to get one. That's his thing and I get it and I'm cool with it. He doesn't ask for much and doesn't really buy much of anything, so I am completely fine with his annual major Apple purchase. With the first iPad release, I wanted one, but didn't get it. I waited in the line with David, but opted not to get one at the time. Well, this year, Apple released these great new cases with the iPad and made it white...I'm a sucker for white Apple products and anything pink, so I couldn't resist this time around with the new iPad. David took off work early (I'm telling you, that's his thing!) and waited in the line. He was one of the first 50 people in line and he has a blast waiting in the line and talking Apple with the other fans! I had a class in Nashville on Friday, so I met him at the Apple store when I was done with the class. I had been toying with the idea of getting the new iPad since I found out about it, but I wasn't completely sure I wanted one. Well, there is nothing like an Apple launch event to get you fired up about a product. I got so excited waiting in the line with David and being one of the first people to get to even see, touch, and use the new iPad that I made a quick decision to get one. (The Apple store employee helping us assured me I had 14 days to return it if I didn't like it, so no harm,no foul!) I will be one of the first to admit, that thing is amazing! (And I felt really cool having one too!) I couldn't wait to get it home and use it! I love playing with all the apps and having my Kindle books on it and my Bible on it and all the other great things you can do on it....BUT...after having it two days (and literally being sick about the purchase) I decided to return it.

RETURN IT? Am I crazy? I was holding one of the most desired items in the world...and I returned it? Yep, I am crazy. You see, I'm crazy about strengthening my relationship with the Lord! I know, I know...here I go with my crazy Jesus talk again! (I figure that if you're still following my blog, then you must not mind it!) Here's the thing, I use my Kindle and read a lot. This year, I made a commitment to read the Bible through...and I do use my Kindle for that (and I love it!). Well, more times than I can count over the short 48 hours or so that I had the iPad, I would stop mid-sentence while reading my Bible and check Facebook or my e-mail or some other app on the iPad. That's when I realized that I really didn't need this thing in my life. Don't get me wrong, the iPad is great and some people, like my husband, find it really useful in their everyday lives. For me, it just seemed like one more thing to take away from my quiet time...it was just one more device for me to check Facebook! I already struggle with the distraction I allow Facebook to be in my daily walk, so I just could not justify having another thing that encourages that distraction.

The other thing that sealed the deal on me returning the iPad was our desire as a family to go on a mission trip this summer. We are hoping to go, as a family, to New York City this summer to be a part of City Uprising. In our prayer and preparation for that trip, I realized that the iPad cost pretty much the exact amount needed for our deposit for that trip. How could I justify spending money on something I didn't really need (or want if we're being truthful) if I knew it would hinder our family from sharing the gospel? That may seem far-fetched to some people, but that was my conviction and I truly believe that the Lord uses convictions to help guide us. I'm not saying that "God told me to take the iPad back", but I am saying that the iPad could have been a hindrance to our family glorifying God through this upcoming mission trip. Again, I want to emphasize that just because I felt this way doesn't mean I'm saying everyone should feel the same way. It's not a guilt trip or ploy to make anyone feel materialistic or an insult on anyone else's relationship with God...it's just my personal story. Everyone has their own convictions...in my opinion, because He loves each of us individually and is developing each of us differently to bring Him glory.

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, you are such an inspiration! I love reading your writings about your walk with Jesus and the real life struggles and issues we all face; big or small! I also count on you to write good, senseful reviews of tech products for me :) I think I might now get the iPad. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl...I love reading your blog and love seeing your faith shine through. What a blessing you are to me! Thank you once again for reminding me of the important things of life! Love ya sister!

    ReplyDelete