Saturday, May 22, 2010

You Are What You Read

Over the past year or so I have become a fairly avid reader. I think in 2008 I probably read three books...maybe. In 2009, I read about 20 books. So far, I have read 16 books...working on two more right now. My goal for the year is 30 books, so I'm pretty on track! Of course, I can't mention reading without giving some love to Amazon for the Kindle. A coworker at BACH had a Kindle last year and after fiddling with it a couple of times, I decided I had to have one. Considering I'm married to the ultimate gadget guy, it wasn't very hard for me to convince him to buy it! I got my Kindle in spring 2009, hence the major jump in reading from 2008 to 2009! If you ever want to play with the Kindle, let me know. I love telling people about it because I use mine so often. Here are a few stats...it can hold something like 1500 books, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle store without a computer, it uses a 3G signal without a contract or monthly fee, you literally download a new book from just about anywhere, and there are tons of free books available...just a few reasons I love mine! (If you know my hubby, you know he's an iPad fan...as an e-reader, the iPad doesn't have a thing on the Kindle!)

All that being said, let me get to the meat of my soap box for the day. One of the great things about Amazon is that they recommend purchases based on your previous purchases. For instance, if you read a book by certain author, they will recommend books by that same author or books of similar content. Thanks to that feature I have discovered I am a huge "chick lit" fan...you know, the stories where girl meets boy, girl likes boy, boy likes girl, something big happens to keep them apart, girl and boy find each other again and fall in love and live happily ever after. I love those stories! The problem with those books is that it's so hard to find clean content with that type of storyline. I have recently started to feel very convicted about what content enters our house as far as tv, internet, movies, and music. We don't let the girls watch too many kids shows even because we don't like the message being sent out by them. I have also stopped watching a good chunk of the shows I once watched "faithfully" like Gray's Anatomy and Private Practice. I would dvr the shows and watch them after the girls went to bed because the content was inappropriate for them to watch. I figured that if I wouldn't watch in front of my kids there must be a reason, so why am I watching it? It seems like so many shows are filled with so much sexual content, immorality, adultery, and language that it's almost not worth even having cable anymore! I know that I may sound a little extreme on this one, but I'm OK with that!

Fast forward to a couple of months ago...I've tried to eliminate as much impure content from my life as possible with music, tv, and internet (I cut out TMZ and celebrity gossip a long time ago...what a waste of my time), so I'm good right? Well, I'm laying in bed one night reading a book and I realize that the book I'm reading is littered with language, sexual content (not trashy romance), adultery, and blatant immorality. It occurs to me that I am reading what I wouldn't watch...it's not any better because I'm still creating that mental picture of those acts and you can't just skip over a "dirty" word by not reading it...it's still there. So, I downloaded one of the many free books available under the Christian fiction category. Jackpot! I found me some Christian chick lit!! I have found a few authors that write my kind of stories with a little more substance and I am loving it. There's nothing better to me than reading a cheesy lovey story and having a Bible verse referenced that you go straight to your Bible and highlight it! There's no shame in that kind of reading....it's kind of like Adam and Eve, there was no shame in their nudity until she took a bite of that stupid apple, but that's a whole other blog topic! I tried reading the regular chick lit a couple of weeks ago since one of my favorite authors released a new book, but I was so put off by the language and content of the book that I had a really hard time reading it. I went straight back to my new chick lit after that and I so thankful for it! Once again, what a great and awesome God we have...He even provides us with Christian fiction! HA!

On a side note, if you do so happen to purchase a Kindle, get the insurance they offer! Trust me on that one, one treacherous drop on the floor at the Y and that screen is toast! I am actually on my second Kindle because of good drop and I now have insurance! Here are a couple of pics of my Kindle...I finally got a skin for it!!

2 comments:

  1. You have just single handedly convinced me to look at a Kindle. I've been holding on to "real books" for awhile now. I just love the smell and feel of them... but you make the Kindle sound like a dream come true!
    I agree with everything on your soap box. We've scaled back miles with what Noah can see. After watching some of the stuff that is allowed on "childrens'" TV I was really shocked. I always sing the "Oh be careful little ears what you hear" song with Noah to remind him why we do what we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love when you get on your soap box! Love yoU!

    ReplyDelete